Chez Blisshaus, nous sommes passionés we are passionate about bringing out the gorgeous in green and the exquisite in eco.
Like most of us, we, too, want to live lightly on this planet earth.
But we also don't want to live like frumps and sacrifice our sense of style doing the green thing. That's why we curate and create the most beautiful home solutions for ourselves and you, our community of 'Bliss Buddies.'
We started with the kitchen pantry and here's why:
We waste food
- $131 billion of food is wasted each year in the U.S., about 30-40% of the total supply
- The average family of 4 throws away over 1,160 pounds of food a year at a cost of around $1,500 - $2,000
- Our grannies did do better: The amount of food waste has doubled - as in increased by 100%!! - in the last 40 years
- Food waste makes up more than 20% of what's in landfills and is a significant source of methane gas as it rots
- Wasted food accounts for 35% of freshwater consumption, 31% of cropland and 30% of fertilizer usage... sigh... want more info? Brace yourself and go here: NPR Food Waste Scoop
We waste packaging
- Food packaging accounts for almost 2/3 of our total packaging waste
- Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour
- Recycling plastic is difficult and toxic - so much so that the U.S. exports 70% of plastic waste to China where a lot of it lands on Chinese landfills - talk about bad karma!
- Americans throw away enough aluminum cans to rebuild our commercial air fleet every three months
- Throwing away one aluminum wastes as much energy as if that can were 1/2 full of gasoline
We waste time
- On average we spend 6.5 hours a week shopping with 3-5 runs to the store per week
- ... and we don't even have to begin to explain how tedious the task of taking out all the garbage is.
So we sat down together to devise a foolproof system. It had to be both easy to maintain and irresistibly beautiful. Because if it's not stylish, why bother?
We, along with our Bliss 'Buddies', are now using our Blisshaus pantries daily and we're continually amazed at how much time and money we save. Along with the mountains of trash we no longer roll to the curb. All of a sudden weeknight dinners are fun to prep and spur-of-the-moment entertaining is a cinch.